Concert in Iowa City tonight. The journey started in Ames, then to Pella, where I briefly got to hang with my sister Kate. She's so cool. Then I drove to Iowa City. It was easily one of the top 5 most terrifying drives ever. Right up there with driving to Minneapolis through an ice storm, falling asleep at the wheel on the way back from Davenport, and a couple instances of driving through tornado zones. This was bad, because it was really windy, really rainy, really dark, really foggy, and I was by myself. It looked kind of like this:

I got to Iowa City a bit late, due to the weather, and missed the opening band. I walked in, and Nate Ruess followed me through the door. That was kind of cool, I guess. fun. took forever to sound check. They had four microphones, and could only seem to get any combination of 2 of them to work. They finally figured it out, but they continued to have some mega feedback issues, and they played their entire first song, "Benson Hedges" with the house music playing in the background. Way to go sound guys. It's like everyone knew it was playing EXCEPT for the guy in charge of shutting it off. Awkward.

Nate was nonetheless in good spirits. Apparently he was born in Iowa City, and all of his aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents are from the nearby town of West Liberty, where he also used to live. His grandmother was in attendance, and he dedicated "The Gambler" to her. It was sweet. Iowa needs to stop emigrating all of it's musical talent. Brian Fennell's (of Barcelona) grandmother is from Des Moines...
Anberlin actually rocked my face off. I think I'm going to try to see them again this winter when they come back around with Thursday. They pretty much sound exactly like Thursday, only no screams. They had a lot of bass noise, with his vocals piercing over the top.

After they were playing, I saw Eddie from Taking Back Sunday out on a smoke break. He was visibly annoyed by this elderly couple talking to him. I heard the man ask him who gets to drive the bus, and Eddie's like "...the bus driver..." Awkward.
Taking Back Sunday was better than expected, even though both their singers had broken feet. The new Fred/John Nolan guy was wearing a boot, and Adam was on crutches, with torn tendons in his foot. Weird. It actually made him look really cool, because sometimes he used one crutch and looked pirate-ish, and sometimes he limped slowly around stage with one hand in his pocket while every one else went nuts on stage. He looked like he was the shit with all that cool around him. And he's a magician with the microphone twirly maneuvers. The drummer rocks so hard. Damn.
(see him with his crutch?)Other notes: lots of drunk people, lots of cute girls. One cute girl actually told me I was cute. I could smell the alcohol on her breath, but I high-fived to that anyways. Then she wandered off.
Cool beans.
K bye.

No comments:
Post a Comment