Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Being Great

It's finals week, and I should be studying, but I just gotta dish dis shit before I forget dis shit.

First, I just wanna say that I freakin love finals week. Everybody is freaking out all week about all the stuff they gotta do, and wonder why I don't freak out too. Child, please! Here's why I don't freak out:

What's the point?

Christmas break is so close! The weather has been beautiful this week! Some say cold, but I see sunshine and refreshment. Also, I've only got five classes this week, which averages to one per day, of course. That rules. I don't have to go to any boring lectures this week. I get to sleep in later than usual. No 8 am labs. I think the main thing is that tests don't bother me at all. I've always been a good test taker, and that helps. I've never been one to cram, I firmly believe that 8 hours of sleep will do you more good on tomorrow's test than a few more groggy hours studying. I also believe that you are better off (and this is true for all aspects of life) approaching things like tests confidently, rather than worrying about what you might not know. It really helps to slow your mind down when you get in there to take the test, and you just think a lot more clearly.

Chad Ochocinco is quickly becoming one of my favorite role models. I am 100% serious about this. If you guys Twitter at all, you should really follow him @OGOchoCinco. He also hosts a daily show called The OchoCinco Show, which you can find on ustream.com. He has generally been viewed in a negative light, but I'll tell you one thing: this guy has got his shit figured out. He is insanely dedicated to becoming the best he can be, but I love the upbeat confidence he approaches everything with. I've been trying to live by his words: be great. It doesn't matter what you do, just do it the greatest you can.

Today, for example, I was walking across campus, when I remembered "be great." How can you be great at walking across campus? Look forward, not at your shoes. Straighten your back. Don't scurry. Smile at people you pass. I did this today, and it's amazing how much of a difference it makes. I smiled at everyone that looked at me, and every single one of them smiled back. During finals week, no less!

I went to lunch, and thought "be great." How can you possibly be great at eating lunch? I'll tell you how: I ate the most balanced meal I've had all year. I had a plate full of peas for Christ's sake!

Now I'm sitting in my room studying. Every now and then, I feel a little unmotivated. Whenever this happens, all I need to do is look slightly to my left at my friend Kevin Garnett here being great, and that gets me going again.



In fact, looking at it now, I'm thinking I need to get back to the books if I'm to be properly prepared for my tests tomorrow and still get my 8 hours tonight.

I want to leave you with this 3 part series on YouTube about Chad Ochocinco. Watch it. He knows how to be great.



1 comment: